Omer Berube

Obituary of Omer Berube

It is with heavy hearts that we announce the passing of Omer Berube, long-time resident of Dawson Creek, British Columbia, on Saturday, July 17, 2021.  Omer passed away at home, in Dawson Creek, BC at the age of 79 years.  A Funeral Service for Omer will be held on Tuesday, July 27, 2021, at 1:00pm at Reynars Funeral Capel with Father Sabacan presiding.  Interment will follow in the Dawson Creek City Cemetery.  For friends so wishing, donations may be made in memory of Omer to Canadian Cancer Society, 1100 Alward Street, Prince George, British Columbia V2M 7B1

Omer Berube
1941 ~ 2021

Omer Andrew Berube was born Friday September 12th, 1941 in Barrie, Ontario and
passed away at home, in Dawson Creek, BC at the age of 79 years.

He came to Dawson Creek with his family in August of 1944 and stayed near the Peace country for the rest of his life.

He leaves to mourn, three sisters and numerous nieces and nephews along with their children and grand kids.
He was predeceased by his mother, father, three sisters and three brothers.

Uncle was never married but when ever there was a wedding, anniversary or family event he would always try to attend. He also made to visit his sisters and brothers and nieces and nephews.  
Niece Linda Budd from Sherwood Park remembered Uncle Omer coming to visit a couple times a year even more when Grandma was living with them. She said “He always arrived when they either sleeping or at school and they were always excited when they heard him in the morning or saw his truck in the driveway. They would even scream Uncle Omer is here”.
He would do carpentry jobs for them as their father drove truck and was away from home a lot, they were amazed when he removed the frosted glass window in the wall between the kitchen and living room and made it a solid wall again. He also helped finish the basement to make a bedroom for the 3 older boys.
He expanded their world telling them stories of all the places he visited in his travels.
He went to Expo 67 and the worlds fairs. He went down to Cape Canaveral in the 70’s to watch the launch of one of the Moon missions and continued across the southern states and into Mexico.
Doug Bonk said he was one of the good guys and he had built a couple of houses for him over the years.
He went to Kamloops to visit his brother and on to Vancouver to visit his sister in Riverview.

My sisters and I remember Uncle Omer coming out to the farm to visit often he would bring treats for us and the dog too.
He didn’t eat much when we were kids because of the ulcer and he was so happy when the doctor prescribed the medicine that fixed it. Now he could eat without any pain afterward and would pick at the leftovers after the meal, once including the rest of Mom’s roast.

When Mom and Dad were building the new house Uncle Omer would be out helping, not just doing but showing us how. Snapping chalk lines on the plywood floor and saying pound a nail every 6 inches. Things happened fast when he was around and we would try to catch up while he was back at work.  
He always made the best meat pies and when he made a roast it always had a strip of bacon on top while it cooked.

He had a CB Radio and used to talk to anyone who would listen, his handle was "Crow Bar". While, when he called you on the phone he would often just hang up after saying what he needed to say without a good-bye.
He got a Commodore 64 a played with it for a while until there was a puff of smoke one day when he plugged it in.
He smoked until the government raised the taxes and a pack cost $1, that was to much he said and quit.
He always liked to play the lotto and won a new red car in a raffle for $20.
He belonged to the Carpenters Union and had many jobs through the years and lived in many work camps.
He went to work in Kitimat and came back with stories about the sea gulls and snow,
saying "It has snowed so much over night, in the morning we opened the front door and the snow was all the way to the top, we had to go upstairs to the second floor to get out."
He worked in the construction of WAC Bennett and Peace Canyon dams on the Peace river, when the construction of

Site C started he joked about coming out of retirement and working 1 day, so he could say he had worked on all three.
He liked to go out fishing and hunting, he built a wooden canopy for his pickup so he had a place to sleep.

Very Respectfully, Reynars Funeral Home & Crematorium

A Memorial Tree was planted for Omer
We are deeply sorry for your loss ~ the staff at Reynars Funeral Home & Crematorium
Share Your Memory of