Sharon Dilworth

Obituary of Sharon Dilworth

It is with heavy hearts that we announce the passing of Sharon Dilworth, life-long resident of Dawson Creek, British Columbia on Sunday, July 4, 2021.  Sharon passed away peacefully at home in Dawson Creek, BC at the age of 75 years.  A private family service will be held with Sharon being laid to rest alongside her husband, George, at the Sunrise Valley Mountain View Cemetery.  For friends so wishing, donations may be made in memory of Sharon to the South Peace Child Development Centre, 9001-10 St, Dawson Creek, British Columbia, V1G 4T1

Eulogy written by Sharlene & Sherri

Our beloved Mom, Gramma, Sister, Aunt and Friend Sharon Rose Dilworth passed away peacefully in her home on July 4, 2021, at the age of 75.  Sharon Rose Anderson was born in Dawson Creek, on January 15, 1946, to Ed and Evelyn Anderson. Ken followed a year later and Bob a year and a half after that.


Mom was predeceased by her husband George, her parents Ed and Evelyn Anderson and her in-laws Ernie and Lily Dilworth, and many other family members.


Mom is survived by her daughters Sharlene (Dale) and Sherri (Jason) and grandchildren Shanna, Savanna, Jordan, Brenden (Mary) and Bryce.  Her brothers Ken, Bob (Louise), extended family and friends.


Mom spent her childhood camping, fishing and riverboating in the Peace River area, as her dad was a guide.  Mom graduated in 1964 and went to work at the Lake View Credit Union as a teller, she worked with her good friend Lynne Willich. Mom and Dad’s childhood friends Leroy and Lynne Willich set them up on a blind in date in October 1965 and they were married January 14, 1967, one day before her 21st birthday, so her parents had to sign for her to be married.  Mom and Dad talked about how many kids they wanted and keep in mind Mom only had 2 brothers, Dad had 4 brothers and 6 sisters.  Dad replied a small family, so 5 or 6.  Mom was panicking, but she kept her cool and said how many would you like to take to town with you? Dad said for Christ Sake just 1!  Mom said let’s compromise and have one for each hand, so on February 10, 1970, Sharlene Rose was born and a year later Sherri Ann was born on February 20, 1971. Their family was complete.


Mom and Dad purchased and moved into the old Walter Haddow property, and they lived in the old farmhouse until 1977 when they built the new house further back on the property.  They lived there for almost 40 years, in 2006 they sold the farm, so dad could semi retire, and they bought the house she was currently living in. Mom quit work to be a stay-at-home mom. She was a fun, caring and supportive mom, we were taught respect, to help people and have manners. She was always there for us when we needed her and we were so lucky to have her as our Mom.  We spent many days camping, having wiener roasts, swimming in the river, visiting and playing cards with the Willichs, Studleys, Walkers and Holloways.  Mom always made sure we were able to be kids, although she needed us to plant and care for the garden each year and make meals for them when they were in the field. I guess she was teaching us good work ethic.  She always made a big deal about our birthdays, and we always felt special.  When we were younger, she always made us angel food cake with 7-minute frosting, and it even had coins inside! When we got older, she would ice the cakes and let us decorate, which was so much fun.

Mom worked on the farm along side Dad, and she loved the country life even though she grew up in the city. When they moved to town, she did not like it as much as Dad, but grew to like the conveniences. She could shop whenever she wanted and see her daughters and grandchildren more often.


In 1998 Mom became a Gramma, when Shanna Evelyn Rose was born, then in 2000 Savanna Krista Rae was born and Jordan Robert was born in 2001.  She was Gramma to Brenden and Bryce, when Sharlene had them in her day care and became a part of the family when Sherri and Jason got together later.  All her grandkids were her pride and joy, and she was so proud of their accomplishments, which everyone heard about.  They always had beautiful sweaters, clothes, blankets, and quilts homemade by her and she was recently showing Shanna how to sew.  Mom was involved in the Women’s Institute and made many quilts with the local women. She loved to read, sew, knit, and quilt, so everyone who got married or had a baby got a homemade quilt lovingly made by her.  Mom would not do things little she always made things in bulk. When she knit over 50 hats for Lynne Willich’s granddaughter to take with her on her overseas trip to help the less fortunate.  She made her own clothes and ours when we were little.  She loved to can, and we spent many summers helping her make dill pickles and raspberry freezer jam.  The last year she loved to watch tv, do word search and talk on the phone.


Mom had a cerebral aneurysm on March 29, 1998, and she survived somehow, her doctors called her a miracle.  Mom was different after that and had short term memory loss, but she was able to do most all she did before.  She believed she survived to help and be in her grandchildren’s lives, because she always wanted to be a Gramma. She always said with a laugh I picked the perfect way to go, but they did not want me.


Mom had a great sense of humour, loved to laugh, and tell stories to the grandchildren and anyone who would listen.  Savanna remembers one story about Gramma kicking one of her brothers in the leg and she gave him a Charlie horse.  He was not too happy with her and took chase.  She would laugh and say I could run faster with a sore toe than he could with a Charlie horse.  Mom always told us about Jordan coming up to her when he was around 5 and asking her if she was tired?  When she said Yes, he would go play quietly for awhile.  Then he came back after a bit he would say is it okay if we play loudly again?  She was always amazed at how Jordan could tell by the look on her face that she needed some quiet time.  When Mom was recovering from her aneurysm 23 years ago Shanna remembers her telling her she was the reward for going for the walk that bossy Mom, Sharlene made her do everyday.  Shanna was 6 months old then and Mom could not hold her, so she would lay on the couch and Shanna would lay on her tummy.  As Moms breathing got worse from her lung disease, she was not able to go shopping and she loved to shop, even though she had a year supply of everything. She used to stock up on the farm, because they only came to town once a week and she never got out of the habit. She was so happy when she discovered the drivable carts at Save on Foods, because she could go shopping again!  Shanna was with her when she was learning to drive the cart and Mom ran over Shanna’s foot, they laughed, and she did get better at driving.


We lost Dad August 28, 2016, after his battle with cancer, they were married for 49.5 years.  She had a hard time after losing dad and became lonely, because they did so much together.  She had started to go to the Thursday morning coffee group, and she loved it, she met new people and connected with old friends too, then Covid hit, so she did not have that social connection anymore. She continued to work for The Mirror inserting flyers in the papers and it gave her a good social life and extra money.  She loved the social part of the job, and the people, they all called her Gramma, and I don’t think they knew her name. She had to quit in December 2020, due to her worsening health and this spring she was diagnosed with a lung disease.  She was given 1 to 2 years, she put on a brave front, but I think she was scared and did not want to suffer. She wanted to be in her home, so Shanna and her puppy moved in January, she was so happy with the company and the meals. Mom was GG, which was Great Gramma to Shanna’s little black pug dog.


On July 4th, Mom passed away from Acute Cardiac Arrest, with no warning, her heart just quit working and she got her wish to go quickly and pain free.  It was a terrible shock to all of us, but she did not want to be a burden to us, and she went on her own terms and did not have to suffer with her lung disease.  She was preparing us all as a month ago she told us she did not think she would be around much longer. I do not know how she knew, but she did, and she was looking out for us still by preparing us for her passing.  She will be missed so much, but she is in a better place with Dad by her side. Goodbye and see you later sweet lady.

Very Respectfully, Reynars Funeral Home & Crematorium

A Memorial Tree was planted for Sharon
We are deeply sorry for your loss ~ the staff at Reynars Funeral Home & Crematorium
Share Your Memory of